Business Services

File a Complaint

Any student, employee, or third party may make a complaint verbally or in writing to report discrimination, harassment, retaliation, sexual misconduct, dating or domestic violence, stalking, or retaliation.  As detailed in the Interim Title IX Process and Administrative Regulation 4500, an allegation of sex or gender-based harassment may be addressed via an informal resolution or formal complaint/investigation process. 

Informal Resolution Process:

An individual may request to resolve their complaints of gender or sex-based harassment without a formal investigation.  The informal resolution process, as detailed in the applicable Interim Title IX Process or Administrative Regulation 4500, is intended to allow an individual who believes they have been harassed to resolve the issue through an informal or mediation process rather than the formal complaint process. A complainant may wish to select the informal process when there is a simple misunderstanding or the complainant does not wish to file a formal complaint.

The District is committed to maintaining a safe and harassment free environment and may determine that serious allegations need to be investigated under the formal complaint procedures even if the complaining party wishes to pursue an informal resolution. 

Formal Complaint:

Who May file a Complaint

The District strongly encourages any student, employee, or third party who believes they have experienced gender-based harassment, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence or stalking to file a formal complaint.  This includes complaints involving activities that occur on campus; as well as off-campus activities that occur in the context of an education program or activity with continuing effects on the complainant. 

Where to Obtain a Complaint Form

A formal complaint is a written and signed complaint on any of the below forms.  While this form is encouraged, it is not required to initiate a District investigation.

If the District receives a written allegation of gender or sex-based harassment (including sexual misconduct), the District will seek to have the individual complete and submit one of the above forms.

Where to File a Complaint

The completed form (or written allegation) must be filed with any of the following:

  • The Vice Chancellor, Human Resources or Title IX Coordinator for employees, if the complainant is an employee; and/or
  • The Vice President for Student Services, if the complainant is a student

File with an External Agency:

To file a complaint directly with the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, contact the local office for the state of California:

Office for Civil Rights,
San Francisco Office
U.S. Department of Education
50 United Nations Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94102
Telephone: (415) 485-5555
Fax: (415) 486-5570
Information for Filing a Complaint with OCR