September 26, 2016
THE BOARD APPROVED .......................................................................
- All consent calendar items, general action items, and academic and classified personnel actions, with revisions to 6.8 (D.1 and E.a) and 6.9 (G.1). For additional information, please contact the Chancellor, College President or appropriate Vice Chancellor.
- Agreement with T and D Communications Inc., in the amount of $107,457 for the Saddleback College Wireless Access Points Installation project.
- Notice of Completion for Saddleback College PE Sewer Ejector project to MMC, Inc., for a final contract amount of $247,012.36.
- Agreement with A2Z Construct, Inc. of Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, in the amount of $121,500 for the Irvine Valley College Classroom B230 Renovation project.
- Notice of Completion for the Irvine Valley College Liberal Arts Audio/ Visual Material and Installation project to ELB (US) Inc., for a final amount of $100,727.
- Agreement with AMTEK Construction of Whittier, CA, in the amount of $372,730 for the Irvine Valley College Campus Safety Building Backup Generator project.
- Agreement with IBI Group for Criteria Architectural Services for the Irvine Valley College Health Center Concessions project in the amount of $144,792.
- Notice of Completion for the Irvine Valley College Emergency Phone/Mass Notification System project to The Amergroup Inc. for a final amount of $287,000.
- Student out of state travel for the National Model United Nations in Washington, D.C.
- Trustees’ requests for attending conference(s).
- Annual renewal of a software licensing agreement for the district-wide Microsoft software licensing for FY 2016-2017 with ComputerLand of Silicon Valley at a cost not to exceed $218,836.
- Agreement for Chancellor Search Consultant Services with Professional Personnel Leasing, Inc. (PPL, Inc.)
- Notice of Completion for Saddleback College Central Plant Phase 2, Upgrade Services project to Southland Industries, for a final contract amount of $1,340,000.
- Amendment No. 13 to extend architectural services to November 1, 2016 with R2A Architecture for the Saddleback College Technology & Applied Sciences Building Swing Space project for a no cost change.
- Notice of Completion for Saddleback College Fine Arts HVAC Upgrades and Interior Renovation project to Solpac Construction Inc. dba Soltek Pacific Construction Company, with a current contract amount of $7,464,237 and outstanding change orders under negotiation.
- Change Order No. 1 for the ATEP IVC First Building project and authorize staff to execute the corresponding change order with the design-build contractor resulting in an increase of $1,268,345 for a revised contract amount of $17,553,345 and add 15 days for a revised contract completion date of November 24, 2017.
- Notice of Completion for the Irvine Valley College Liberal Arts Building project to Swinerton Builders for a final amount of $9,339,041.
- Revised Conflict of Interest Code, subject to the review and approval by the Orange County Board of Supervisors.
- Employment contract of Dr. Debra L. Fitzsimons to serve as Interim Chancellor.
Trustee Prendergast reported that he attended the ATEP groundbreaking and the OCSBA fiscal update where he learned that Proposition 55, the extension of taxes on high income earners is being supported by the Republican party since it makes up a huge portion of the state's revenue. Trustee Jay attended the black chamber event where our veterans center was honored. She also attended SC's transfer day and she was happy to see all CA higher education systems represented plus other colleges from out of state. She attended the annual south Orange County veterans resource fair where she heard Assm. Rocky Chavez speak. She attended IVC's board of governors meeting and was impressed with their board composition and commitment to raising funds for students. She reported staff concerns regarding ongoing Workday issues. Trustee Jemal attended the groundbreaking at ATEP and for IVC's first building there. He is looking forward to it becoming a flagship for the region. Trustee Wright attended the retirement celebration for Craig Justice. He was also honored to attend the black chamber of commerce and see SC's vet center honored. He has enjoyed some of the football games. He is serving on an accreditation visit to Evergreen College and commented on how much work the accreditation process takes. He attended the ATEP groundbreaking and was pleased to see countywide support. Trustee Lang mentioned the retirement of Vin Scully and mourning the passing of Arnold Palmer, reflecting that are examples of how to be great and humble at the same time. He echoed kudos for the IVC first building and ATEP groundbreaking. Trustee Milchiker attended Craig Justice's retirement party. She was pleased that the district has selected a firm to assist in the chancellor's search effort. She attended an IVC debate. She attended the inaugural meeting of the Orange County Community Colleges Legislative Task Force and welcomed SC ASG student Lucy Hendricks to the task force to serve as the fourth SOCCCD member. She enjoyed the IVC faculty guest music series and encouraged staff to attend the college fine arts events. Trustee Whitt attended the annual black chamber banquet where they celebrated the buffalo soldiers. She really appreciated the focus on veterans. She attended the veterans resource center fair at SC and has been passing out resources to students. She was pleased to see it hosted by the OC board of supervisors. She truly enjoyed the classified staff luncheon at SC and always appreciates getting to know staff. She was touched by SC's 9/11 ceremony and truly appreciated its simplicity and elegance. She encouraged everyone to donate to the student veterans fundraiser for Thanksgiving. Student Trustee Forde attended the ATEP groundbreaking and some campus wide committees. He is interested in learning more about the processes that lead to decision making.
- Saddleback College - President Tod Burnett's written report included: The VETS Center hosted the 8th Annual VETS Program Resource Fair. Saddleback College student veterans, active duty personnel, and military family members in the community came to connect with resources that help veterans achieve their goals. The VETS Center was honored by the Orange County Board of Supervisors for previously earning the Dr. John W. Rice Diversity and Equity Award and for its extensive work in providing resources to student veterans. The Saddleback College Police Department coordinated a commemoration ceremony to remember and honor those lost in the terrorist attacks of September 11th. It was held at the Saddleback College Veterans Memorial. The Sciences Building Grand Opening Celebration will be held on Thursday, September 29th from 4:00 to 7:00 pm. Many elected officials will be in attendance, including our Board of Trustees.
Irvine Valley College - President Glenn Roquemore’s written report included: The college hosted displays and video screenings to commemorate the 15th anniversary of 9/11 and allow individuals to reflect on the events that took place and changed our country. The videos shown included: 102 Minutes that Changed America, Voices from Inside the Towers, and 9/11 Voices from the Air. IVC invited students, faculty and staff to participate in a public meeting that served as a self-evaluation step in the district-wide updates to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Transition Plan. IVC held a groundbreaking ceremony for its first building at the ATEP construction site. IVC's women's volleyball team had an impressive start to their season under interim head coach Nate Ngo, who recently returned from being a part of the USA men's volleyball staff at the Rio Olympics. The School of the Arts launched their newly redesigned website in time for the fall season.
- SOCCCD Legislative and Advocacy Overview - Tere Fluegeman, Executive Director of Public and Government Affairs, Mark MacDonald, State Legislative Advocate from McCallum Group Inc., and Dana DeBeaumont, Federal Legislative Advocate from Capitol Advocacy Partners presented a brief overview of legislative and advocacy efforts on behalf of the district and colleges.
College Foundations Annual Report - Elissa Oransky, Bill Hewitt, Don Rickner and Anthony Ferry representing the Irvine Valley and Saddleback College Foundations, provided summary information on the accomplishments for FY 2015-2016, a financial summary, and highlights of major initiatives planned for FY 2016-2017.
The board meeting may be viewed online at www.socccd.edu. Television broadcasts are scheduled for 7 pm on Friday, September 23 and Saturday, September 24 on SC Channel 39 and IVC Channel 33. SC TV 39 has an additional broadcast on Sunday, September 25 at 7 pm.